Sunday 8 March 2015

Dermalogica: Blackhead Clearing Pore Control Scrub

Product: BLACKHEAD CLEARING PORE CONTROL SCRUB
Shop: DERMALOGICA
Price: £13.00 / 75 ML
Category: BLACKHEADS/PORE MINIMISING
Rating: 3.5/5

Dermalogica is another one of those 'science-y' looking brands. But, it also doesn't like to pay attention to the correct capitalisation of proper nouns - so can we really believe a word it says? Yes we can. But also no. But somewhat yes.

When I first started using this product, I went to town with it. Scrubbing hard, 2-3 times a day, plus. I just wanted to scrub my blackheads away, I just wanted that squeaky clean finish. Now, I won't hardly go near it and it's far better that way. 

This is another  product which uses those ever-so-popular microbeads, but these microbeads are so micro that it almost forms a very smooth paste. For that reason, it's more than important to be very gentle and feather-like when applying this product. Applying any kind of intense pressure when using microbeads can be damaging to skin. I learned this the hard way. 

During the first week, I was really putting some mileage into this product, appending it into my daily routine and scrubbing so fiercely my skin positively squeaked afterwards. And this was so the wrong thing to do. I was over-producing oil to compensate for the damage I was causing, my skin was tight, which admittedly made my pores appear smaller,  and my skin felt very polished and raw. 

This product is not too dissimilar to an exfoliator, and really, skin should only be exfoliated 1-2 times a week. So that's what I do now, and yes, that is better. I am now super gentle when applying this product, I smooth it over my t-zone with minimum pressure. Afterwards, I feel fresh and cleared as opposed to the harsh, taut feeling before. 

Always apply this product to a damp face, as, arguably, this product is a little too stripping for some of the more balanced areas of my face, such as my chin, and I find that it leaves me feeling dry throughout the day. Yes, dry. Me. With dry skin. Dry. So it's near crucial to apply a moisturiser just after using this product. 

Due to micro-microbeads, this product doesn't really get that much coverage during application. I really need to squeeze out a good almond-sized portion to get the spread I need. But, it lasts. 

Now, does it work? Yes. It does work. But it doesn't work as well as I would have liked. Without throwing around un-researched, un-studied, un-qualified percentages, I would say that my blackheads have reduce in size and number by a very small amount. They are still there, and still very obviously there, but they are better. They definitely aren't as dark, which, for me, as to be one of their most defining factors. 

No comments :

Post a Comment